If you bookmark this or any other site about domestic violence, your abuser can find out that you have been getting information on domestic violence. If you can, clear all cache/history files from your web browser. You may want to access this site from somewhere other than home. See instructions below for eliminating traces to browsing the internet for domestic violence web pages.
Instructions for Internet Explorer
To delete temporary internet files, cookies and pages listed in your History:
- On the menu at the top of the browser window, click on Tools>Internet Options...
- In the dialog window that opens, click on the "General" tab.
- In the section labeled "Temporary Internet Files", if you wish to delete all the files and cookies, click on the "Delete Files..." button. A confirmation dialog will open asking if you want to delete all files in your temporary internet folder. Click "OK".
- If you wish to selectively delete files and cookies, click on the "Settings..." button. A dialog window will open. Click on the "View Files..." button. A window will open with a list of all your temporary internet files and cookies. You can highlight the files you wish to delete and hit the delete key or click Edit>Delete.
- To empty the History folder, click on the "Clear History" button and then the "OK" button.
Instructions for Netscape
To delete pages listed in your History:
- Click on Communicator>Tools>History on the menu bar at the top of your browser window.
- When the History window opens, highlight the addresses you want to delete and hit the delete key on your keyboard or click on Edit>Delete on the menu bar.
- If you wish to clear the History file, click on Edit>Select All then Edit>Delete.
To empty your cache:
- Click on Edit>Preferences on the menu bar at the top of your browser window.
- When the Preferences window opens, click on the "+" sign in front of "Advanced" in the frame on the left then click on "Cache" to open the cache dialog.
- In the Cache dialog window, click on the "Clear Memory Cache and the "Clear Disk Cache buttons and click on the "OK" button to close the window.